The UK Government has set out its approach to negotiations for the Future Relationship with the EU.
The Government has set out a vision for a future relationship where both sides can work together in the interest of patient safety, public health, and the pursuit of scientific progress for UK and EU citizens. Richard Torbett
The ABPI shares the Government’s ambition of making the UK a leading global hub for life sciences and an internationally competitive trading partner with the EU and the world.
In response to the UK’s position, Richard Torbett, Chief Executive of the ABPI, said:
“The Government has set out a vision for a future relationship where both sides can work together in the interest of patient safety, public health, and the pursuit of scientific progress for UK and EU citizens.
“As negotiations get underway, we urge ambition and pragmatism to achieve these goals.”
The approach contains specific areas that the pharmaceutical industry welcomes, including:
- an annex on medicinal products which supports high levels of patient safety through:
- mutual recognition of certificates of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) as well as acceptance of batch testing certificates by the regulatory authority of either side
- information sharing, so that regulators can act promptly to safeguard patient safety and public health
- participation with Horizon Europe
- high standards of protection for IP rights
- mutual recognition of professional qualifications, underpinned by regulatory cooperation
- continued cooperation to prevent AMR and raise global animal welfare standards
- UK and EU future relationship
- Horizon Europe